Exploitation of results

The “transfer function” is the third mission of universities (along with teaching and research), which defines them as institutions committed to economic and social development, contributing to the business network and the quality of life in society.

There are several actions aimed at transferring the University’s results to society. Usually these actions are fulfilled by subscription to certain contracts. Here are the most common:

  • PATENT LICENSE: This is a contract whereby the University as a patent holder authorizes a third party, a commercial partner, to exploit and utilize the patent in exchange for economic compensation in the concept of royalties. The contract regulates the rights and obligations of each party with respect to the patent’s exploitation.
  • SOFTWARE LICENSE: This is a contract whereby the software owner grants authorization to a third party to utilize such software in accordance with a series of obligations between both parties. With respect to free software, several types of licenses exist that establish which actions are allowed by this type of license.
  • KNOW-HOW LICENSE: Under this contract, the owner of the know-how is required to impart the know-how and authorize use to another party with conditions and limits, such as time, territory and so on, stipulated in the agreement, usually in exchange for economic consideration, either in cash or in kind.
  • PATENT VALIDATION OR PROOF OF CONCEPT CONTRACT: This contract regulates the actions, carried out by a third party, necessary to confirm the commercial viability of the patent object, granting a preferential right to this third party to exploit the patent proven.
  • CONTRIBUTION OF PATENTS, SOFTWARE OR KNOW-HOW TO A SPIN OFF: This contract regulates the transfer of technology from the University (owner of the technology) to an entity created to commercially exploit knowledge or technology from the research conducted at the University.

For any questions regarding these types of contracts, please do not hesitate to contact the OTRI.